Friday, August 29, 2008

Back to School Assembly

Thursday was a bit day at Colegio Nueva Granada. The children came in their formal uniforms and we had our official Back To School Assembly. The thing is, there wasn't much to it ~ singing, marching, announcing, and more singing. And yet, it was one of the most moving assemblies I have ever attended.

We all climbed the mountain to the high school gym where the younger children sat on the floor and the older ones sat in the bleachers upstairs. The kids waited patiently for about half an hour while everyone assembled ~ Colombian time is a bit more relaxed than US time! Then all the children and teachers stood and sang the Colombian national anthem (which I guess I should learn) and the US national anthem which I know!) and then the school song (which I also have to learn). Then (and this was the best part) this year's senior class walked in, hand in hand, with the new class of Kinder4 children. Watching those seniors gently lead the cutest, tiniest, newest members of the CNG family into the gym, with Disney's "Colors of the Wind" playing in the background, brought tears to my eyes. It was such a touching moment. And it really showed the family feeling of CNG. There is a strong allegiance to this alma mater, as parent alumni send their babies to the school. Anyway, it is hard to describe here, but trust me when I say it was one of the most touching moments I have ever experienced at a school assembly. I am glad that I am a member of this family.

No comments: