Saturday, July 23, 2011

Coming home....

I have often said that I am always homesick... when abroad, I miss the States; when in the States, I miss Germany. I guess that is understandable since my mom is German and I have lived about 13 years of my life there. How fun that things here don't seem to change much: the window dressing is new, but the hearth is still ablaze ~



Here is the Brand's place, the place where I lived as a young, married woman. Hubert and Ursula still live downstairs, and our apartment was on the first floor. Up in the 'attic' apartment used to live an older couple. They have since moved out, but I sort of missed old Frau Makert poking out of her window, surveying the neighborhood!






Everything looks about the same as when I left, 25 years ago ~

Hmmm, the old balcony looks so much prettier with living flowers...!


Valentin enjoying the backyard ~



And nothing brings back yummy memories better than a birthday celebration! Happy birthday to Hubert!!!!


Jonas and I ~


Yes, Ursula made FOUR cakes for the special day! Kase kuchen, Erdbeer/Himbeer torte, Streusel kuchen, und auch ein Eierliquor kuchen!


Funny how, no matter what continent you are on, the younger generation provides tech help!



And for this visit, Barbel and Bernd have graciously offered their home. And of course one of the joys of being in Germany, is always having fresh broetchen for breakfast! Mmmmmmm ~ Valentin and I are enjoying our spread!!!


And of course it's always fun to have some girl time! Barbel and I have talked about everything as though we had never been apart, and I even got a make over!

Before:


After:


Nothing like enjoying a little 'eppel voi' ~ Apfel wein, a Frankfurt staple!! Prost!


Who says, 'you can't go back...'?

1 comment:

Christina said...

Love all the pics!