Saturday, July 9, 2016

Alexandria!

Next, we were off to see a new city for me: Alexandria.  Now, I knew that this would be a different experience than what I had the last time I was in Egypt, but somehow it still surprised me. Alexandria, named for Alexander the Great, was very much a city of blended cultures.  While there was still a huge influence of the Egyptian beliefs and art, it was combined with the styles of the Greeks and even the Romans.  

See, already we have ionic and Corinthian column toppers!











Here's a view of the Roman triumphant column: Pompey's Pillar




But first we wandered through the catacombs of Kom ash-Suqqafa ~

It's dark down there!!!!


Pompey's Pillar!





Guarded by sphinxes ~




Just doing my part to keep national treasures safe! ;)


















Our next stop on our whirlwind tour of Alexandria, was the citadel - a fairy tale like structure built by the sea ~



















Why yes, I am drawing my bow-string!










To keep up our strength, we feasted on a seafood lunch, including these GIANT prawns!!!!



And our final stop was at the Library of Alexandria -

                           No, unfortunately not THAT one :)  But they have built an incredible library here that seeks to recreate the spirit of the great library erected by Ptolemy. It is a work of art in itself, and houses some fine artwork along with some old printing presses!





 

No comments: