Thursday, September 4, 2008

Not so content . . .

Well, I am sitting here on my couch, again..... only this time not so 'content'. For those of you who had concerns about my health care down here in Colombia, let me allay your fears!! The health care is GREAT ~ if a bit extreme. Let me explain...

Tuesday afternoon, trying to get lots done before going home, I went (a bit too swiftly) to my cabinet in the math room and as I spun around to head back to my desk, I twisted my ankle. Yes, it was reminiscent of the Princess Sprain of a few years back, to the point that I almost passed out. The fainting spell was more because I was remembering how terrible that first sprain was. Missy, you were there, you know!!!! Anyway, I collected myself and hobbled home. Tuesday, as I was semi limping up the hill to my classroom, I ran into a friend who, as a former coach, suggested that I go to the infirmary for an ace bandage so as to immobilize my ankle for a speedier recovery. I thanked him for his advice and after getting the same advice from a math colleague a few minutes later, I went to the infirmary.

Well, after looking at my swollen ankle, the nurse there immobilized me alright! She wouldn't let me leave!!!! Even though my first class was about to begin and even though my belongings were in the math room, I was stuck! She applied an anti-inflammatory cream (which I never even knew existed) and wrapped my ankle in ice. Then she called the office to get someone to take care of my classes; called admin to get copies of my health card and Colombian identification card ('schedula') neither of which I had on my person since I don't carry my purse to school (so much for not carrying valuables!!); and she called the emergency room. Yup, that's right. Because the 'accident' happened at school, they were required to take me in to the hospital.

So, then, as if missing class for a twisted ankle wasn't bad enough, she, amidst many a protest by her not willing patient, managed to wrestle me into a wheelchair and then pushed me through school to the waiting car and driver and translator. Now, what I want to know is, why were so many people out and about instead of teaching in their classrooms at 9:10 on a school morning?????? Because I am pretty sure that every person I know at CNG was out on the sidewalk to witness my humiliating ride to the car.

Anyway, after tearful goodbyes and protests of 'it's just a sprained ankle' I was locked into the car and whisked off to an emergency room. And even though my translator, Fanny, and I were expecting a long wait, we were blood pressure checked, doctor inspected, x-rayed, and doctor wrapped all in under 2 hours. Maybe the fact that I was a Gringo with muy pequeno Espanol......! So all in all, the hospital visit wasn't all bad. Not ALL bad, meaning there was some bad news. Because my ankle had a "strong" sprain, I was given this short form, signed and stamped by my doctor, explaining that I would be "incapasitado" for 5 days! That means that for 5 DAYS I am expected to sit on my couch, not touching my foot to the ground, so that I can heal properly!!!! Did I mention this was for 5 DAYS???????????????????? Well, again with the tears, I pleaded for him to take it back, insisting that it was just a twisted ankle and that I would hop most of the time so no weight would be put on the injured ankle.... Nothing doing. These Colombian doctors, and administrators, and colleagues, and translators are a tough bunch!

So.... here I am 'enjoying' a vacation from school. Funny how we always wish we could have days of just lounging around but when we get them we are not happy about it at all.

Anyone for a game of pool online??????

2 comments:

Chris and Sarah said...

That is torturous!!! I hope your ankle feels better soon... and that your 5 days of house arrest pass quickly!!!!!! If it makes you feel any better, I fell on my knee cap at my house and have a purple bruise the size of a Christmas tangerine now....

Laurel said...

Sprians are no fun. Hopefully the five days will pass quickly. They probably would have sent me in fot he pregnancy charlie horse I had the other evening. It was brutal.