Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Content with where I am...

I am just sitting here on my couch. It's dark outside even though it's only a little after 8. It gets dark here at about 6:30 or 7 and you know what? I don't even mind. In fact, that is what I am sitting here thinking about ~ how I am just so...... content here. Even the getting dark early doesn't bother me. Of course that could be because I have to get up sooooo early that the early dark just offers me the excuse of going to bed early!!

And of course it helps that I am able to take the time here to get to know myself again. There is definitely something good about being alone for a while in your life, I've decided. I've always been reflective, but here, somehow, it's more meaningful. Maybe because I am here by myself?

But back to the content state of mind.... Just when I think that I am totally used to being here, something happens that makes it all seem surreal again. These aren't big important things. No, it can be the tiniest thing. Like tonight. Walking down the broken sidewalks with Aaron, talking about our Back to School nights, on our way to Juan Valdez for a muy delicioso cup of Chocolate ~ mmmmm. You know, before I got here, I worried about the weather. A lot. After all, I was leaving rainy, not too hot Washington for a spot in South America that is rainy and not too hot. But you know, it isn't the same here. I mean, the rain doesn't stay too long and the sky is quick to turn blue again. And the cooler temperatures.... maybe it's the fact that there is only ever about a 10 degree difference, but it doesn't feel that cold here.

And school sometimes makes my stay here feel surreal. Like, I don't make my own copies anymore. Nope, there are these very nice young men who do that for us. Of course, they are one of the main reasons that I am trying to learn Spanish. Do you have any idea how hard it is to act out "back to back copies"???????? LOL

All in all, and despite the fact that I miss my girls so much, I am very happy here. (And not just because they mine emeralds!!!)

No comments: