Sunday, September 28, 2008

Friday Night!

Well, this was a pretty tough week (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!) and so we all felt that we deserved a night of fun and relaxation! The problem is, there were so many fun things going on, I kind of couldn't decide which to do. So what's a girl to do? That's right~ all of them!!! LOL

As soon as school was out, I met up with Julianne, the assistant in one of my rooms, and some other teachers to head out to her house. Julianne, who lives in the northern part of Bogota, invited us all over to her place for her specialty: arepas con juevos. It was great! She actually started us out with some homemade empanadas, which were scrumptious! Then, as she and I drank rum and coke in the kitchen while the others gossiped in Spanish, she whipped up the specialty. This is how they go: first she fries up an arepa, which is sort of like a thicker tortilla. Then she takes it out and makes a slit on one side, where the arepa sort of bubbled. Into this pocket she pours a raw egg! (and this is the magic part) She returns the arepa to the pan adn the egg doesn't seep out, but cooks instead! Right inside the arepa!! Magic. That's what it is! And that is how they taste. Oh, my gosh, the are delectable!!!!

Well, after our delicious meal, I caught a ride home with Mersa. But it was only 7:30. And a Friday night. So, I called Sheila to see if I could catch up with them (Aaron had told me that they were all going to go out and said I should join them). She said they were all at the Mojito bar (yum!) so I called a cab and made my way over there. Well, the Aaron group wasn't there, but I found a fun groups so we all danced and enjoyed the local beverage! What fun!!! I think I am starting to get this whole Salsa thing :-)

But fun as it was, come 10:00 we were ready for something different. Actually, we all just wanted to crash a party hosted by our wonderful elementary art teacher, Maria Ines. She was having a terraace warming party so.... off we went. First we had to stop by an open grocer (hard to find that late at night) to pick up some munchies/beverages to share at the party. Luckily, in the opposite direction of what we needed, we finally found a place. With goodies in hand we headed to the party.

And it was awesome. Her terrace had a great view of the city and the fact that it started to lightly drizzle just made the dancing outside even more fun. And, as per her reputation, Ines was a great hostess, even bringing out little belly dancer skirts. You know, the ones with all the little 'coins' on them that jingle when you shake your hips? Well, they were a hit! In fact, I really wanted to take one home!!!!

This was a night to be long remembered!

No comments: