Sunday, September 14, 2008

Native Speaker

My Spanish is getting soooooooooo good!!! Well, I mean, I am still getting a tutor and I really probably shouldn't wander too far from fellow gringos, but seriously ~ I am getting pretty darned good. And you know why? Taxi drivers.

Yup, I owe my Spanish proficiency to the friendly cab drivers who don't mind muddling through my, sometimes painful I'm sure, conversation. I am sure I sound something like: "Me go not today on mountain of Bogota where me walk. It much work. Bogota very very pretty." Of course you are not getting the benefit of my incredibly helpful hand gestures, body movements, and onomatopeoia. All of which enhance the conversation greatly!

So, between my tutor and my taxi drivers my Spanish will be out of this world in no time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy I so enjoyed reading your Blog from Saturday. You remind me so much of Oma and her time in Amerika when she came for visits.She too made every effort to be understood. We are so proud of you in your effort to learn the language as fast as possible. Besides that we love reading about your life in pretty Bogota.

Laurel said...

LOL. I totally got a visual of you acting things out with hands and sounds. Keep up the good work, emersion is the best way to learn.