Monday, October 29, 2012

Nepal ~ Katmandu

A dream come true: a trip to Nepal!  It's funny how I have preconceived ideas about various locations on this planet.  My feelings are based on previous visits, or on things I have read, and sometimes simply what I imagine....  In my mind, some countries are sure to feel comfortable and homey, others bustling and crowded; some countries conjure  up images of magic and mystery while others speak to the romantic in me; some countries feel like they are designed for the physical adventures while others for the gluttony!!  

Nepal, for me, has always been a place of mystery and dreams ~ While I have envisioned myself visiting many countries, I never thought I would actually go there!!  And yet, for Eid vacation off I jetted - to Katmandu, Nepal!
  

We booked a room at the Holy Himalaya Hotel ~ mostly because of the name  :)

Diana, Laura, and I landed in Katmandu at night, and so I was not really able to get a feel for the city.  Well, I did FEEL the city.... because there are really no roads! 

The Holy Himalaya Hotel
The next morning, while we were waiting for our flight to Pokhara, we decided to brave the city (or at least the street down from our hotel!) and do some shopping!

 We also got a glimpse of Katmandu.  As I learned later, this country sort of exploded with tourism (started by the trekkers who yearned to touch the heavens), and has suffered from political unrest.  Unfortunately, the country has not fared well: there is no infrastructure (and no roads!), and the poverty is apparent everywhere.  I have to say: Katmandu made my heart hurt.


 And yet, even here there were glimpses of beauty:
 And odd spectacles!!
 After our shopping jaunt, we headed back to our hotel to relax ~
The three of us: Me with Diana and Laura
 And what better to relax with, than a Special Everest beer!
 Aaaahhhhh!



No comments: