Saturday, December 24, 2011

Finally in Kosrae!!

You know your children are grown up when you find yourself equally separated around the globe! My Jen and Matt are making their way together in Washington, my Christina is discovering the world and herself in Kosrae, Micronesia, and I am living it up in Dubai. Because Jen and Matt are incredibly gracious, I have spent time with them in their WA apartment, but I have only seen Christina's new digs via skype ~ good, but not the same as being there! And the worst part is that I can't even mail her anything from Dubai (Don't ask.... argh.)!!! So I set my sights on a visit.... Well, after three travel agents failed, and a lot of money spent, I finally managed to figure out how to get to Micronesia!FINALLY I made it to Kosrae! And boy was it wonderful being met at the tiny airport by my Sunshine! We stayed together in one of the island's three hotels, owned by the most delightful couple (she is from Italy and he is from Tennessee). Maria and Mark made my stay comfortable and homey ~ a million thanks!!!!! 


Happy to be together
   Here is a shot towards the main office of the resort. There were about 5 double cabins as well.








  Our room opened up in the back to a sort of 'lake' area and so through our sliding glass door we had a front row seat to observe these odd little creatures! Not really sure what it is... but apparently someone from a university came out just to study these odd fish!


  We had to navigate a bridge of sorts across brackish water to get to the hotel restaurant, Bully's. Here you can see the upturned roots of the mangrove trees ~ They are growing up out of the muck in order to 'drink' the fresh water that floats on the top! Looked sort of like a medieval torture device to me!!             








And here is Bully's!  My favorite restaurant on the island!!!!  It's built sort of ala Swiss Family Robinson meets Pirate Cove.








This is where I ate banana pancakes and BACON!!!! Every morning!!!!! 
Oh Yum!!!! 
 
 


After checking in at the resort, we headed to the family house.  Christina is lucky enough to live with a beautiful Kosraen family who have taken her in as one of their own.  Aliksa and Cia, and their three children, Aksa, Heisey, and Alicia, as well as Aliksa's sister, Leah, lovingly opened their home and their hearts to Christina, and I was about to find out ~ to me as well. 




The lovely Leah and Alicia!


Two sweeties: Aksa and Heisey!


I was treated as a special guest and that meant..... a FEAST!  Cia prepared all of Christina's favorite foods for me to enjoy, including: crab cooked in coconut milk, sashimi with the most extraordinary dipping sauce EVER, sukiaki, tarrot, salad... and more, including fresh coconuts to drink!










I think I am going to like it here!

1 comment:

rachel said...

Fun! I was recently wondering what adventure you were currently on. Sounds like you are a having a great time. Enjoy your memories with your daughter.