Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Rapid Island

Christina and I spent one day hiking around Rapid Island ~ so named because it is rapidly changing.  We had to ride our bikes out to Lelu, and then we left the shore and waded out to the island ~

















It was a gorgeous view in both directions!


One of the most interesting things about all of Kosrae is that the beaches are actually made of coral!  And that was nowhere more apparent than right here:









The two of us just walked and walked ~ giving a holler when something particularly beautiful or interesting caught our eye.


And the beauty wasn't only IN the water ~ it was on the shore as well:









Eventually we came around a bend where we found a HUGE tree sort of laying on the beach.  Christina, despite her new bandage... and I climbed up and enjoyed the view while eating our tangerines.  





Yes, the bandage....  Well, the day before this trip, Christina left me at the hotel in the morning while she went to check the mail (we were eagerly awaiting our Christmas package from Jennifer and Matt) and to zip by the school.  So I took my time getting to breakfast, where I again enjoyed the most delicious fresh banana pancakes and bacon (which I ate every morning ~ funny how much you miss bacon when living in a Muslim country....).  Luckily I had brought my Kindle out to Bully's with me, because Christina was taking a bit longer than I expected.  Finally, I see Christina approaching down the pathway... sporting something big and white on her chin!  Turns out, she had a bike accident just 5 minutes after leaving the hotel!!!!!!!!!!   She was enjoying the beautiful morning, and because she had gotten up and out perhaps a little too early, she took a spill off the edge of the road, taking the brunt of the fall on her chin!  Luckily, she was right in front of the other hotel on the island, so she made her way inside and asked to see the manager.  Then she took a seat, with her chin in her hands, waiting for a bandaid!!!  Well, as soon as the woman from the hotel saw her, she took her to the island hospital, where my darling Christina had to get stitches!!!  The first in her life!!!  And I was not there!!!!! (which in retrospect, may have been a good thing.....)  Anyway, she was fine, but had to wear the large bandage for quiet a while!!  



So, after our little rest, Christina and I clambered down from the tree and continued on our adventure.  There were so many beautiful things to see, including these cute crabs!





After returning to the island of Lelu, we still saw some lovely sights.  


Yes, even some pigs!! 




One of Christina's favorites on the island, though, are the Dr. Seuss trees!! 


1 comment:

Christina said...

Haha! I was enjoying all of your beautiful pictures of the beach and then the one of me and my super awesome bandage came up and I laughed out loud. Oh man,that is what happens after 10 hours of Christmas marching! :P