Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Leticia and the monkeys!

This is our last day in the Amazon, and it is going to be a full one!!!!! It was off to Monkey Island for us!

There were the funniest parrots there to meet us at the dock. They were heavy but so funny to watch! They loved the shiny wrappers in the trash!



Our first adventure here was to feed the monkeys that run all over the island. It was so cute, because they all started following us as we went to the place where we would feed them.






One even jumped on my head! I was so excited about that!!


Of course I had no idea what was in store for me once I had a banana in my hand!!!







We all had our fair share of 'monkey time'!!!!




And the local man kept laughing at me and handing me more bananas!! It was hysterical!! Definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity!





But eventually we had to leave. It was off to the zip line! Wow!!!! This is Kim ~ just to give you a flavor of what I did.




I was sooooo cool!!!


Kind of like Laura Croft!!!!



Next we took a scenic tour of a marshy part of the island, only we didn't get to row. One poor man rowed all six of us!!! Strong....


So we just enjoyed ourselves!




After a short walk we encountered yet another interesting tree. They call this the Walking Tree because as the branch grew out sideways, roots dropped from it and grew to support the branch.

And this tree is a peeling tree. It peels it's bark like every 6 months and the soft new bark is sought by make-up companies to be used in its anti-aging products.... It's one of Brazil's biggest exports now.



Of course, the day was drawing to a close, and we had to take off on our boat once more.



I love this country!!

1 comment:

Rebecca's Blogger said...

wow! you got to holed a monkey and let them crawl all over you. That must of felt weird.