Monday, October 6, 2008

Shout Out to Princesses! (or "Save the Chickens!!!")

That's right ~ it's Princess Time!!!

Last weekend there was a huge race, raising funds for the fight against breast cancer. I was very excited about participating, not because I knew how large it was going to be, but because I needed the exercise and the cause is a great one! I was also going with some friends I don't usually do things with, so it was going to be a nice change of pace. So, I got all dressed in my walking shorts and tank top, attached my iPod for my listening pleasure, and laced up my shoes. As I stopped at my portero's (which you ALWAYS have to do; to chat and exchange pleasantries before passing) I told him what I was setting out to do on that sunny day. Of course, you again have to remember that my Spanish is not the best.... So I tell him that I am going to "cambinar contra cancer de pecho." Not bad, I think.....

Well, off to the race! Kim and Liz and I head for the Parque Simon Bolivar where, much to my surprise, there is a ginormous crowd!!!!! Wow! I couldn't believe my eyes! And to make it even more heart-warming, the women were all decked out in the official race shirt (which we Gringos didn't have because we didn't know to go pick it up), which was hot pink!! So there I stood, looking out over a sea of pink and black ~ not gonna lie, a tear sprang to my eye. It was like the Pavement Princesses from PTC en masse!!!!! Gosh I miss that relay!

Anyway, there were so many women, there it was crazy. There was also a huge bandstand with live music and a fitness instructor doing warm-up moves with the crowd before the races started. Most of that was pretty US ~ kind of Jazzersizy with aerobics and jazz squares. But here's the twist: after a little of that, they did some real dance moves ~ Salsa of course!!! It was great! Colombia sure is fun!!

Anyway, the race went great, even though we are still not sure if we walked in the right group! But as we were walking I noticed a banner over the street that said "blah blah 'contra cancer de sino'....." I asked my Spanish speaking friend what sino was and she said it was breast. Oh. "So", I asked her, "what does 'pecho' mean then?" "Well, it means breast too, but is used to refer to chicken breast, like on a menu." How did she know that is where I found the word?????????? Dang it.

We had a fantastic lunch (after driving our cab driver crazy driving all around town looking for a Mexican restaurant that was open!!!) and then went home and.... you guessed it ~ napped!!!!

No comments: