Monday, October 27, 2008

Botero

Yesterday was a GORGEOUS day ~ sunny, warm, bright...you get the idea. And I was working. At school. Inside. On a BEAUTIFUL Saturday. Yeah. Actually, in a geeky kind of way, I enjoyed my work at school. We were sooooooo productive. We are (those of you in Washington will love this ~) working on standards and benchmarks!!!!! Yay!!!! It was just tough because it was such a WONDERFUL day outside.

Today was not as gorgeous or beautiful, but it was a wonderful day. Despite the clouds and the little rain shower later, I called a cab and headed for La Candelaria. Yup, I was off to the Botero museum!



I was surprised that the museum did not only have Botero's work, but also pieces from his personal collection including Dali, Chagal, Pissaro, Renoir, Calder, Picasso, Ernst..... I could go on!







As well as Colombian artists.





And some modern art as well! I really thought the shower curtain one was awesome!!! The other one is a very interesting look at what future archeologists might find!






And this is my favorite. I forgot the name of the artist, so I will have to go back, but I just loved the 'lady of the sea' idea. I would hang this in my house!



There was plenty of Botero's work too, though! Botero is a very famous artist from Colombia (born in 1932 in Medallin, in fact!). He studied in Europe and Mexico, and while being influenced by the works of great masters and the muralism in Mexico, he developed his own unique style. Botero is known for his over-inflated figures, often referred to as 'fat people'.







While I was looking around the museum (which is housed in an old hacienda in the La Candelaria district)





I was frustrated by the fact that I didn't really know much about him and my Spanish is not good enough to read the museum signs.... So, I asked if there were any tours in English. Nope, not on Sundays because it is way too crowded.... (I don't understand that either). I went on my way, trying to figure some things out, and about half an hour later a woman from the museum found me and gave me my own private tour!!! I love being a Gringo in Colombia!!! Seriously, I have never lived anywhere where they make such an effort to please!



So I learned lots today! She told me that Botero is "celebrating the life within them while mocking their role in the world," as you can see when you look closely at his work. Here is a work that very much shows what she was talking about. In the fifties family was a huge 'theme' in Columbia (as in the States!). The 'perfect' family, that is. So Botero painted one. Except that if you look closely, you notice a snake in the tree seemingly pointing to the man's hand where you can see that he is wearing two wedding rings ~ one for his wife and one for his mistress! He's not the only one who is not what he appears to be, though. Also in the painting is an apple, fallen from the tree with a bite taken out of it. It lays at the feet of the woman who is holding a child on her lap. A child who, interestingly, bears no resemblance to her husband!!!!



My day was absolutely FANTASTIC! In fact, on the way home I changed my mind and had the cab driver take me to the Pan Americana and bought an easel so I can start painting!

2 comments:

Christina said...

OH! YOU GOT YOUR OWN PRIVATE TOUR!?!?! AND you bought an easel!?!

Now I am REALLY excited to come visit and paint with you!

Wow, you DID have an amazing day!

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures!