Sunday, July 27, 2008

Medellin - Wow!

I actually "talked" to my portero (doorman) this morning, all by myself to ask how to get rid of my garbage and we understood each other!! I know now what to do with my trash and recyclables ~ Yay!! (This would seem more impressive if you knew that he speaks NO English and I speak, well, you know....)

And after that excitement I took yet another journey! Today we boarded a Fokker 100 plane for Medellin.



(Funnier if you say it out loud. Funnier still if someone with a Colombian accent says it out loud!! LOL) The flight was only a half hour long and then the 17 of us boarded a very 'cozy' bus for a supposedly 45 minute drive through winding hills/mountains to the town of Medellin. Unfortunately our driver didn't exactly know where the hotel was, even though he told the director of curriculum he did so.... an hour and a half later.....

The good news is that the 'hotel' is very nice. Well, it's more of a house really, that has been converted. The rooms are nice though. Well, not mine so much. I am rooming with my new working partner, Dahlia (aka Buella) and our room has the actal bedroom, with a tv and closet that is hers, and an anteroom with a bed, which is mine. My 'room' is right as you enter our room and our room is right next to the garage. Huh.

Medellin, though, is truely beautiful. Or at least the part where we are staying. You have to imagine a city of about 3 million located in a lush valley of the Andes mountains. And when I say valley, I mean a very steep valley so the whole part of town where we are staying is like a lush version of San Francisco. And then this evening we ate dinner at a lovely restaurant that lay on the border of a town square. The waitress was delightful and very patient with my Spanish. I am trying so hard to pick up the lingo but it is a frustratingly slow process. And it's nice/embarrassing when the waitress smiles at your attempts to order. I did get what I asked for, though, so I must have done a pretty good job. Or she was a mind reader ( a distinct possibility!!!).

After dinner, I was ready to retire to the room but instead joined Ruben, Dahlia, Rosio, Vicky, and Rebecca on a shopping trip to the most beautiful mall I have ever seen. I am sooooo mad that I didn't have my camera with me (note to self... carry camera EVERYWHERE!!!). Not only did the mall have the most gorgeous stores: Liz Claiborne, HP, Sony, well, I won't list them all, but they were amazing, but it was also just aesthetically the most beautiful mall. Stone floors, water features, an OPEN ROOF!!! Just beautiful. And it was several stories so there were bridges with amazing views. Did I mention that it was beautiful????? And it doesn't stop there.... The women of Colombia in general are very beautiful, but those in Medellin... May I just say, "Wow!!" I mean seriously, they are very well 'customized' to borrow a term coined by our very own Ruben. Apparently there is no body part that cannot be 'adjusted' down here! And the results are, well, once again, Wow!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a safe flight....have you seen Janis or Debbie yet....I hope they didn't have as much trouble with their luggage....glad you enjoyed yourself Sunday....my pleasure...enjoy every minute...