Thursday, April 13, 2017

Uganda ~ Chimpanzees!!!

The trip of a lifetime didn't end there. Our next adventure was a chimpanzee trek. We started out in much the same way we did for the gorillas - at a base camp where we were given instructions again about how to behave on our journey. As far as the terrain was concerned today, it would be much easier than yesterday. Can't say I wasn't relieved ;)  So, we headed through beautiful countryside to enter a forest ~




Yes, we have a men with guns with us. I was a little uncomfortable with this at first, but later I was thankful they were there. Just in case.



We came across the male chimpazees first. And they were soooooooooo tame - just laying around, oblivious to us despite how near we were to them. In fact, they were so calm, that I worried about their health and wondered if this was in fact not a refuge rather than the "wild".






























Once I started observing, though, I got over my worries. The men with us explained that the male chimps really have no fear- they are larger than I expected, and strong! - and that is why they are so lackadaisical. 



























It was amazing to watch these great apes























 After we left the males, we finally came upon the troupe of females, juniors, and babies. How did we know?  Listen ~











We followed the troupe as they made their way through the trees. It was fascinating!!!  And a bit frightening. At one point, a female came scrambling down and rather aggressively ran right past some members of our group - I hid behind a tree... which afterwards I realized was only about 6 inches wide!!! LOL
































At one point, they stopped and enjoyed a snack. Or did they? Because, as we stood there, they dropped the fruits on our heads!!







Here's a peek at what these primates are eating












No comments: