Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mi Barrio (to be added to later)

Wow ~ it's been a while since I have added anything to my blog!! It's been busy at school, a frenzy getting things organized for Dubai, and I didn't travel much the beginning of this year. And then, quite simply, I just got out of the habit!

So, first, here are some shots around mi barrio at the beginning of 2010. My new favorite place for breakfast is Bagatelle. It's not far from the apartment and so I frequently walk down there on a Saturday or Sunday, book in hand, for a nice, long breakfast. (I'll have to get some photos of the inside this week to add!) The staff, like everyone here in Colombia, are very hospitable. Even the day I went in with my laptop to finish up report card comments, they made me feel welcome to stay as long as I needed, despite the people standing, waiting for a table. It is nice to be a 'regular'!



During the colder months, Bagatelle is a great place to meet friends for a little hot chocolate ~ with a lovely twist!






I walk to lots of places in my neighborhood: restaurants, the bookstore, down to septima to catch a bus. I feel so comfortable here. I like to stop and chat with the woman who works as the portero for a building down the street from mine; checking out the new arrangement of roses in the flower store window; greeting the guard on the corner (although the night one scares me sometimes by running up to me just to say 'buenas noches!!!' ~ this is Colombia, after all.... you don't run up to people at night!!!!); and most of all, I love that nino follows me down the street to the local tienda for a bite of sausage.


No comments: