Friday, May 8, 2009

One of those days....

So, you know how we teachers feel like we are making a difference in the lives of our students? How we feel that all that hard work, those extra hours are all worth it because you know that the children in your room are all the better for it? Yeah, well....

So today I knelt down next to a little boy who was struggling with a story problem about how many hands would be in a group of 8 children. He had written 40 and despite my inspiring questioning, was still not sure how to proceed. So I decided to start small: "How many hands do you have JM?" He looked up at me confidently and responded, "five."

Deciding to tread softly, in case this kiddo was suffering from some psychosis, I asked, "can you show me your five hands?" Again, confidently, he held up one of his hands.

.....

See, the thing is, you are probably thinking, 'how cute! He is thinking about his fingers, not his hands!' Except that if that were the case, this poor kid has forgotten that he has another five... hands.

But it's all okay. As I turned around to leave his desk, I noticed my little E. intently cutting something out of a piece of paper. When I asked him what he was doing he announced, holding up his paper, "I cut out a space ship from.... oh!" Yeah, it was his test.

*sigh*

1 comment:

Oh the deep abyss.. said...

Sounds like my students...